Wednesday 26 January 2011

D.I.Y. Cushions!


So here is my first tutorial! I have been looking forward to doing something like this ever since I started my blog. I'm going to show you how to make your own seat pads, like the yellow gingham one above, which are both cute and practical!

I find they are really helpful for keeping my dolls on their seats as they give a bit of traction. Not the sexiest word ever but I've found them really useful and hope you do too.

What you need:

Make-up pads
Fabric scraps of your choice
A compass and a ruler
Scissors
Fray check
Needle and thread
A piece of thin card (I used a bit off a cereal packet)
Fabric glue

I dare say you could get away with not needing all the bits and bobs in the list but have a read through and see what you think.


First you want to place your make-up pad on your fabric scrap and draw a circle around it about 1.5cm larger to act as a seam allowance would. Cut it out and it should look like the picture above.


Next you want to create two smaller circles. Measure the diameter of your make-up pad and cut out a circle of the cardboard to the same size. Then cut a slightly smaller circle (by about 2mm) out of the fabric you would like to use on the base of your cushion. 

 Fray check the sides of the fabric circle and leave to dry.


Next you should use a running stitch around the top of the large fabric circle you cut out at the beginning. Use stitches between 2-3mm for a neat look. You should then place your make-up pad on to the fabric circle and then place your piece of cardboard on top of that. Pull the thread taut to gather.


You now want to use the fabric glue as shown in the picture. Be sure not to get too close to the outer edge as you don't want it to ooze out. Place your backing fabric on top and carefully press down. 

I wish I had used a thicker fabric as you can sort of see the gathers through my selection which was a light weight cotton.


Finally you should whip stitch around the edge to secure the fabric in place that little extra. It is also neater.

Now you have your own cute little cushion like the one Ren is sitting on in his lovely green chair at the top of this post! Hope you have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...